Iron Bench & Table Into Chair & Ottoman

Please follow and like us:
RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Pinterest
Pinterest
Instagram
SOCIALICON

Were you aware that I’m a magician?  I usually only perform on the weekend. In fact, this past weekend I was able to do a little hocus pocus and turned an old, dilapidated iron bench and table thingy into a pretty magical chair and ottoman. This set was generously given to me by a good friend. (Thank you, Kirk!)

BEFORE-bench

The photo above was after my hubby had already started to dismantle it. >:-\ I had to -sort of- put it back together so I could get a “before” pic.  As you can see, the pieces weren’t fitting just right. Although, I think you get the gist of it.

BEFORE-table

The table had seen better days. But from the looks of it, not in MY lifetime. I needed to get rid of the old, dry-rotted wood and see exactly what I had to work with.

BEFORE-iron-pieces

BEFORE-chair-piece

BEFORE-table-piece

The grasshopper insisted on being in the last picture. I said, “Whatever.” I wasn’t in the mood to argue.

If you know me, then you know that I paint EVERYTHING. So, before I did that, the first order of business was to get rid of the rust. My method of choice: I used steel wool and elbow grease. After that, I wiped it down with a dry cloth. Then, I grabbed my can of Rustoleum Fire Orange spray paint and got to spraying. I chose this color to accent the fabric I was planning on using with this. You can imagine my dismay when I instantly found that the color of the lid DID NOT correspond to the paint in the can. (After seeing the actual paint color, I decided to rename the color “Bozo-the-Clown’s-Wig Orange”.) I WILL repaint it. Just not yet.

orange-table

orange-chair

Now I was ready to use me some power tools! I was planning on doing this little project all on my own but since I’m still quite leery of the table saw, I asked my wonderful hubby if he would cut the 5/4 deck boards into strips for me. (Little did I know I was going to need his help a lot more on this little project.) Like the gentleman that he is, he obliged.

5-quarter-deck-boards

After they were cut in strips, I decided to sand them down and router the edges. (I surmised that the longer boards would be easier to handle than shorter ones.) After that step, I measured how wide I wanted the bench and I cut the strips 21″ across using a mitre saw. As you can see below, some of the iron pieces were curved, thus making it impossible for the straight boards to fit correctly.

one-board-on-chair

That’s when I got my hubby back over to help me decide how I needed to fix this. He opted to use the belt sander to round the inside of the boards.

Jamie-sander

That’s exactly what it needed to fit. Smart man!

boards-on-chair

Since we had removed the metal piece in the center of the bench, I had decided that I was going to use fabric for the back of the chair (sort of like a director’s chair). My husband didn’t know if the chair would be stable enough with just the two strips of wood in the back. Time would tell but first I wanted to paint it again. Wish me luck!

AFTER-paint-chair

Ahhhh…much better! After the paint dried and I was happy with the color, I got my fabric and put it on the back of the chair. Eh. I wasn’t feeling it. So, I decided that maybe I should just continue with the boards down the back of the chair. Since there hadn’t been boards there in the beginning, I needed a few more holes drilled. “Sweetie, can you help me again?” He did. 🙂

AFTER-holes

Since we were omitting the fabric and attaching wood strips, it should definitely be stable enough now.

Moving on to the ottoman…Jamie had bought me a piece of treated plywood to use as the top. We decided on the dimensions (29″ square) and he cut it for me. (I’ve not used a circular saw before-that’s my next tool to conquer!)

Jamie-sawing

The rest of it was now in my hands…literally! I brought it to the house where I put a piece of 2″ foam on the top and covered with batting.

AFTER-foam-batting

Then I laid the covered board on top of my fabric and stapled the indoor/outdoor fabric to the wood. After I was finished with that part, I brought it back over to the barn so I could attach the legs to it.

BEFORE-table-legs

Finally, my job was finished and my idea was now a reality! Of course, I couldn’t have done it without Jamie’s help. 😉

Final

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *